Monday, October 7, 2013

"and by [the prophets] shall all things be revealed, ... shall secret things be made manifest, and hidden things shall come to light"


My family!
 
Wasn't General Conference so great? Man, I wish we could listen to the Prophets speak everyday. Sadly, there's no time for that. But we CAN go read and study their words and receive even more personal revelation. So much guidance! So much goodness! Mm. yes.
 
This week was great. And kinda sick. We had some sort of cold-bug picking off the elders in my apartment one by one. But we're all doing well now. And our immune systems are stronger. :) I went on a short exchange with Elder Deardeuff, Elder Langi's companion, on Wednesday. It was sweet. We were on bike and taught this guy named Ken, who Elders Langi and Deardeuff had met a few days earlier. He let us in and we got to know him a bit while he folded his kids' clothes. He really opened up to us. He told us of so many difficulties he had in his life. We shared our testimonies of the gospel and some scriptures from the Book of Mormon. As we testified I remember a moment that was very powerful. We looked into his eyes and told him of the very real cleansing power of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I felt a deep love for this man I had just met. Everything seemed to still, just for that moment. His children hushed. Outside noises disappeared, and all I could hear was the small, sweet voice of the Holy Ghost. We communicated clearly, spirit to spirit. I know that he felt the power of the Holy Ghost. Mm. That savior's love is so pure and good!
 
On Thursday we had dinner with the Moleli's (I LOVE THEM!) and then a lesson with Moli and Sabrinna. Sadly, Moli and Sabrinna had both not read the Book of Mormon that week. But they are still doing so well. Sabrinna is just awesome. She does so many good things of her own free will. I don't know if I've said this before, but she started indexing right after she was baptized and she's trying to get more into family history. She faithfully comes to church and reads scriptures. AND right after church last week we saw her, she looked at us so wide-eyed with the biggest smile ever, and exclaimed she was called to be a primary teacher. She's just awesome.
 
Anyway, we were with Moli and Sabrinna, and neither had read. So we read where Moli had left off in the Book of mormon. 1 Nephi 16. The spirit was there. As we read, we asked about what Moli and Sabrinna thought about the story--how Nephi breaks his bow while his family traveled in the wilderness. Moli loved that the Lord never forgot about them. He always provided a way for the family to eat and prosper; that way is obedience to the commandments and scriptures. Sabrinna said that she didn't understand how all of Nephi's family just turned away from what they knew so quickly. They had come so far! they were in the wilderness being led by a compass provided by God! There's no reason to doubt. Just have faith. I learned so much that night. I felt like they were teaching us. :)

I love reading the Book of Mormon! I know that it is the word of God. Heavenly Father has made so much more of my life than I ever could as I've feasted on the words in that great book.

On Friday we wrote and delivered little notes to all the less active members in the ward, reminding them about conference. It was such a miracle because just about every person had somebody home. We were able to get in contact with some people we had been trying to find for weeks! It was such a blessing.

And there is a Samoan hymn that I really love: "Pe a Faigata Le Ala, Taumafai!" They sing it all the time but it's not in the English hymn book. BUT, I was listening to an old conference the other day and recognized the tune of a song the Mormon Tabernacle was singing. I realized it was THE song! In English! And when I heard the lyrics in my own language, my heart was touched. I thought of these sweet Samoans and how meaningfully they sing the Chorus of "If the Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not!":

Do not weary by the way
Whatever be your lot;
There awaits a brighter day
To all, to all who weary not.
 
I also loved conference. I loved the counsel of Dieter F. Uchtdorf to doubt your doubts before you doubt you faith. I also lovedElder Ochoa's counsel to look up! And I really loved Elder Nielsen's enthusiasm for the gospel (exclamation point!) ! :) The gospel of Jesus Christ is true! Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ! He was a prophet! We have prophets today! We have the Priesthood authority of God today! This is his church! :)
 
Love,
Elder Judd
 
picture of elder browning and I with these candy lei's (I can't remember the Samoan term) some members gave us. very tender gift. :)