Monday, April 28, 2014

"and He shall heal them, and they shall have peace with Him"

Talofa family!

It's been a solid week. 

On Tuesday we went to see Sasa'e. She is Bishop Wendt's sister-in-law and she's Catholic and she was meeting with missionaries a while back. It was awesome. She was really open with us and told us how she wants to learn, but she doesn't feel like people listen to her or understand. She explained how she's changed a lot over time. It was just a great visit, and she said she was glad we came. And we'll be meeting with her again this week.

We visited Sam again this week. We've seen him a lot lately. Sam is struggling with the load of being a father, a husband, an employee, and just in life. We've been trying to help him read the Book of Mormon, and this week he asked us text him to remind him. So we started to text him a scripture reference everyday. It's reminded me how much I love the Book of Mormon. Ezra Taft Benson said:

There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception.You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path.

On Saturday we helped out with a Mormon Helping Hands service project. We helped mulch along a sidewalk. It was awesome. And I felt so good afterward. And it was awesome to serve alongside all these people in the wards that I love. I love service! 

Then we went to a baptism of some children in the Rialto 2nd ward. while waiting for the program to begin, I talked with a boy who sat next to me. His name is Maru and he is 8 years old. I asked him about his own baptism, his family, and what he like to do, etc. When I asked what his favorite scripture story was, I expected him to talk about a story of Nephi or Moroni or Noah or something like that. But he said:

The one when Jesus died for us on the cross and paid for our sins and then was resurrected.

I was surprised by how sober and sincere he was. Maru understands what matters most. I was even more surprised when he began to ask me questions. He asked: 

When did you begin thinking about serving a mission? 

Not really knowing the answer to that question, I told him:

I think when I was about your age. 

He said:

I began thinking about a mission when I was six.

The boy had a testimony. hearts are touched by the Spirit. The spirit strengthens faith.

Alofa atu,

Elder Judd